Friday, January 29, 2010

It's About Me


I hate it when God does that. I know it probably never happens to you though.

A couple of days ago I wrote about what I would say to the young man who was making unkind remarks about others if I got another chance. I would gently challenge him to greatness. Great people make the people around them better, they don't tear them down.

I'm not sure I should have written that because since then, I'm becoming painfully aware of how often I think of unkind things about others and then how tempted I am to say them! And here I thought God had something for this young man to learn but it was really me that he was trying to speak to!

Unfortunately, I'm seeing a theme here. If my wife irritates me (hardly ever happens), if my kids irritate me (yep, it's true - it happens), if people in general get on my nerves, I'm having to face the fact that it is usually much more about me and my "issues" instead of them and what I perceive to be wrong with them.

So, greatness slips from my grasp once again. But I'm still going to pursue it. A friend of mine's personal life mission is "More greater than me." I like that. Not there yet. In the meantime I will lean into Jesus to make my heart more like his heart.

Note To Self: one finger pointing out, 3 pointing in.

Matthew 5:27-28

dc

1 comment:

ET said...

Happens to me ALL the time. Like lately, I set a goal to be a "blessing" to my husband-- (even more than I already think I am)! Just to end up either frustrated at his lack of "cooperation" (me pointing the finger), or talking to God about it (usually as a result of pointing the finger). Then I end up learning more about my heart attitude than anything else. It's a journey to be certain. But because of God's grace and interest in my life, I'm further along than I used to be.

Mockers hate to be corrected, so they stay away from the wise. Proverbs 15:12 (NLT)