Friday, May 10, 2013

God: “I love you.”


            She hugged the card to her chest, covering it up to keep anyone from seeing it.  It was a special card she had made for her mother and she wanted it to be a surprise.  So, I looked around, found some purple construction paper and we made a special envelope for her to put the card in.  She was so happy!  Now she could give her mom her special love letter.
            Love letters are special to make and special to receive.  That someone would take the time to write words of love carries deep meaning.  When I went to Ethiopia for the first time I made Pam a series of love letters for each day I was gone.  I made a set for the kids as well.  I wanted them to remember me!  And I wanted them to remember that I loved them and cared for them.
            Some have said the Bible is God’s love letter to those he cares deeply about.  We may read some of its content and think, “That’s a weird thing to say in a love letter!”  Yet, through the words of scripture we begin to see God’s heart and hear God’s voice.  It helps us understand God, know him personally and recognize his plan for us.
            The book of Malachi is truly a letter of love to the people God has chosen.  The very first thing God says is “I have loved you.”  God’s love isn’t sentimental though.  God’s love is based on a promise that he will never break.  That is the essence of covenant love – a promise held intact by the character of God.
            When it comes to experiencing God’s love, many times we can be like the people of Israel who responded to God’s declaration of love by asking, “How have you loved us?”  Have you ever felt that way?  You may not have said it but you thought it.  In the middle of a difficult time, when all seemed dark, you are wondering “Where is God?”
            The book of Malachi reminds us one of the evidences of God’s love for us is his sustaining grace.  Yes, you are taking many blows.  Yes, life is very hard.  Yes, you have many questions.  And you are still standing.  That is God’s grace.  That is evidence of his love for you.
            So no matter what you are going through right now, remember God’s covenant of love to you.  God always keeps his promises and he will never leave you.  He loves you.

Peace,
David

My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.” (Psalm 63:8, ESV)
“…fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10, ESV)

No comments: